Storm-Goddess
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncanny X-men #7 Review

Go down

Uncanny X-men #7 Review Empty Uncanny X-men #7 Review

Uncanny X-men #7 Review Cover

My Review

The issue starts out with Storm, Psylocke, and Magneto discussing strategies on how to invade Mister Sinister's new Krakoa. I'm guessing the original way the X-men destroyed the island, by tossing it off into space with the combine power of Storm and Polaris, wasn't going to be quite as effective this time. Danger receives intel from Unit; who is willing to aid them for his own personal reasons. I found this to be an interesting change of events, though it was quite obvious that Unit wouldn't want Sinister harnessing the ultimate power to his whim. They realized that their only chance of freeing the Phoenix Five was by destroying the Jean Grey clones that Sinister used to beat the Phoenix Five before.

Psylocke decides that she should go in stealthy with Danger attached to her as an armor suit. Storm and Magneto provided the distractions and had an interesting conversation once again. The dynamic between the two is so nice seeing. What's interesting is this time Gillen had Storm somewhat agree with Magneto in this issue about loving the destruction. I thought this was a nice change considering how preachy and righteous he always made Storm seem(which is not always the case for this character). I think he's been taking advice from some of the fans for that issue.

Storm and Magneto finally encounter one of Sinister's Jean Grey clones and Storm immediately(Asking her goddess for strength) unleashes a storm of lightning bolts on the Phoenix Force wielder. It phased her but it didn't drop her. I thought there was something that should have been shown and referenced with how Storm reacted to seeing a clone of one of her closest friends. She didn't seem to really care who she was, which should have never been the case with a character like Storm, considering their previous relationship.

In any case, the abomination of a clone announced that Storm was troublesome and attacked her. Storm merely closed her eyes and asked for her goddess to save her... Why didn't she even attempt to defend herself with a lightning shield or something? Moving on... Magneto announces that there was no need to ask her goddess when he would defend her just fine by encasing her in a scrap metal shield. Storm isn't seen again until later in the issue unconscious, but I'm assuming she was knocked out from the brunt of the blast against Magneto's metal shield.

Emma eventually gets the Phoenix Force to return to her by communicating with one of the clones and that basically saves the day. All of the Phoenix Five are freed and Sinister's island and clones are destroyed. Scott then announces that the world is theirs in a cryptic way. I thought the art was sort of cool in some areas but it seemed quite odd in other areas. Storm was just downright ugly in some panels. Lol

I thought the issue was interesting overall, but nothing too interesting to give it anymore than a 6/10.

Uncanny X-men #7 Review Th_UncannyX-MenStorm7Uncanny X-men #7 Review Th_UncannyX-MenStorm72
The Weather God
The Weather God
Administrator
Administrator

https://storm-goddess.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Uncanny X-men #7 Review :: Comments

THUNDERBOLT30

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:54 pm by THUNDERBOLT30

A 6/10 is generous for this f%^&ery Mad ! This rag is 4/10 at best. Gillen needs to get off his own jock strap already! He has given all of the quality characterization to Unit and Sinister his ENTIRE run on Uncanny!

"Goddess...Save Me!"....Is Gillen frakkin' serious? This was his worst characterization of Storm EVER! Her lightning barrage looked cool but her just floating their waiting to get attacked is NOTHING like the Storm we came to know for 35 freakin' years! I am glad his sorry ass excuse for writing is about to be done. He lost all points on this one. Even Magneto's dialogue was ridiculous. Psylocke got all this love being a ninja, casting creative illusions, etc....but we have Storm who Storm is actually a master thief with greater showings in stealth than Betsy. Whatevs though, I won't hate on Betsy because she is one of my favorite x-ladies.

Back to top Go down

The Weather God

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:22 am by The Weather God

Trust me, TB. That 6/10 didn't give him a single Storm positive point in my overall review. Though he did try to give Storm a little variety by having her agree with Magneto, that doesn't warrant a good portrayal of Storm.

The main reason I took off most of the points is because Gillen has a horrible grasp on characters power levels. It wasn't just Storm who was portrayed horribly but Magneto as well. He made two of the most powerful X-men look like jokes against a quarter of the Phoenix's power. That should not have been the case here considering both of these characters have taken on more powerful versions of this force. Together they should have at least had the power to match this weak clone.

He had Magneto using scrap metals against the Phoenix? Did Gillen forget that he could conjure shields and hold off psychic attacks that are Xavier level(who's telepathy is on par with the full powered Dark Phoenix) even without his helmet? Not only that but he has Psylocke jump up to Erik and stick him in the neck with a needle? Wow, the X-men are chop liver without the aid of the Phoenix and Unit on their side(that's what I got from this issue in terms of how he established their power levels). This guy needs to pick up an old X-men comic or read a respect thread or something. This sort of basic information is available on Wikipedia.

The reason I gave it a 6/10 is because I liked his Sinister portrayal and the way Unit was able to get involved to help. I thought it was a nice closing to this arc even though his Storm and Magneto were treated like second fiddle when they were suppose to be powerful in their own right.

Back to top Go down

White Mage

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:31 pm by White Mage

"Why didn't she even attempt to defend herself with a lightning shield or something?"

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!

She just closed her eyes and prayed to the Bright Lady. She accepted the fact that she was about to get killed, RIGHT AFTER she let out a full on attack......of lightning.

I would've had no problem with that line had Storm been TRYING to stop the blast......That's why I call B.S. Meanwhile, Sinister did come across as an actual threat........he has no relevance at all.......but he was a threat.

Back to top Go down

NativeSon

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:51 pm by NativeSon

Wow. Why the hell does Gillen have Storm playing sitting the sitting duck. this is beyond ridiculous. She pulled this same stunt with Emma but she knew to get the hell out of the way. This is just disappointing.

Back to top Go down

RLAAMJR.

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:29 am by RLAAMJR.

Can somebody cut this page and just post me the part which Storm strikes lightning at the phoenix clone?

Uncanny X-men #7 Review UncannyX-MenStorm72

Storm could have beaten only if she were written correctly. : (

Back to top Go down

The Weather God

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 am by The Weather God

Here you go Rlaam
Uncanny X-men #7 Review StormvsPhoenix

Back to top Go down

RLAAMJR.

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:41 pm by RLAAMJR.

The Weather God wrote:Here you go Rlaam
Uncanny X-men #7 Review StormvsPhoenix

Thanks a lot. The only part that I really, really like. : )

Back to top Go down

God Of The Storm

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:17 pm by God Of The Storm

I look at this and I get the sudden urge to go to the bathroom and use this as toilet paper. Because that's the only thing this trash is good for! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

THUNDERBOLT30

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:11 pm by THUNDERBOLT30

Lol...agreed. Thank the goddess Gillen's ass is moving on. I am over his horrifc portrayals of Reverend Ororo "Al Sharpton Cecily Tyson Stunt Double" Munroe.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down